Wednesday 16 October 2013

Day 1- Journey to Ypres

We were up bright and early to begin the long coach journey. After some traffic hold-ups we arrived in Dover for a calm and easy crossing to Calais. No bluebirds could be found on a grey, drab day.



However, spirits were high:
 

 
 
A smooth onward journey saw us arrive on time in Ypres and after settling in, evening meal and unpacking, the study part of this study visit began with an interesting talk from battlefields guide Tom Morgan, followed by a short reflection on the day and their hopes for the visit:
 
Phoebe O wrote:
'I hope to find out what the conditions were like for the soldiers. I also want to know what it was like, as in touch, smell, feel, and so on.'
 
Jessica P wrote:
'I want to know when, where and why WW1 happened. I want to experience what life in the trenches was like.'
 
Josh G wrote:
'By seeing some of the battlefields I am expecting to learn more than I would from reading information in a textbook.'
 
Jack J wrote:
'I would like to have a good clear vision of what went on in trench life in Ypres and the Somme.
 
Sam A wrote:
'I want to see some WW1 artefacts and to see some views of the battlefields.'
 
Will R wrote:
 'From this trip I expect to gain a greater understanding  of the causes and effects of the First World War.'
 
Jess W wrote:
'You get to feel the atmosphere of the trenches and the battlefields instead of looking in a book at pictures or a poem. You get to feel the weather and a more realistic idea of what it would have been like'.
 
Jack K wrote:
'I came to find my Great Great Grandad as none of my relatives have had the chance to visit his grave'. 
 
Alex C wrote:
'I expect to find out why battles took place where they did. I would like to learn and understand the feelings in the war zones and the conditions that the soldiers lived in'.
 
 
Tomorrow we will visit the town of Ieper (Ypres). Don't forget to check on the blog tomorrow night.....
 


1 comment:

  1. Great blog - I'll be checking for updates. I hope someone spotted the Munster War Memorial in Ieper by the Cathedral behind the "In Flander's Field Museum".

    ReplyDelete